The person or the organisation who/which plays a leading role in family, organisation, Institute, nation or world is recognised as the Leader. It is tough to achieve this position and even tougher to be in the same position consistently and continuously. Everyone following the Leader will continuously watch the activities carried out by the leader. Followers always copy what a leader do and get benefit of the same. Leaders takes Risks, but follower copy the leader. In case, if the leader makes a silly mistake, it is only the image of the leader which gets deteriorated and not the follower. Even follower will also join the criticisers and take advantage of the situation.
Therefore the leader had to take every step very carefully, fast and result oriented. It’s actions are watched closely. In my opinion a leader should maintain few of the following aspect of business –
- Brand Image – The leader has to continuously in touch with the consumers by building the brand image by carrying out marketing activities, understanding the nerves of the end consumers. Continuous ATL and BTL marketing activities are required. Once a Brand is trusted, the respective organisation has to take all precautions to avoid any kind damage to the brand. It is very difficult to build a Brand and very easy to destroy.
- Product Quality – Once the end consumer has trust in the product and its quality, it will not only use the product but also spread it by word of mouth. Word of mouth publicity and recommendations are always contagious and contiguous. Reverse also true in case of quality problems in the products. Quality always pays and has un-negotiated demand.
- Service Level – If any organisation is having monopoly, then the end consumers is ready for waiting time. But if the product is non-monopolistic, the organisation in second in-line having the same product, then the end consumer will not wait for the product, irrespective of the best quality. They can adjust with
- Product Innovation – Market always expect innovation in products, services and policies. Therefore a leader had to continuously engage in research and development and launch new products on regular intervals. This is where a leader has to distinguish itself from the other players. Example of Apple and Samsung are classic examples. HUL, Nestle, SB are facing tough competition from Patanjali. Patanjali is moving so fast that even the leaders of the market are not even able match with it. Production innovation lures the customer and keep the leaders leading in the race. “Leaders don’t search the market for their product, rather Leaders produces Products for the market based on need.”
- Human Resource – Human resource of any organisation is the biggest asset. Employees retention is the indication of a good Leading organisation. People from TATA group takes retirement, whereas in equivalent or bigger organisation there is large employee turnover. Leaders take care of their employees. There are many tools for employees’ engagement and retention. Proper HR policies in place, Employees development and growth plan, regular training of employees, Job rotations and enrichment, facilities like house, medical facilities, children higher education support, retirement benefits. Pay and perks are not only attraction today. Employees do lot of research work before joining. Organisations which doesn’t take care of their employees faces high employee turn-over and problem in new requirement. Therefore leaders have to take care of their employee and ensure employees retention and engagement plans are in place.
- Social Responsibility – Leaders are being seen by the entire Industry, very closely and encash every opportunity left or missed by the leader. CSR (corporate social responsibility) is looked as one of the most important ingredient of a leading organisation. Leaders like SB, Nestle, ITC, TATA, Infosys, etc., keep a separate budget for social activities.
This is not end of activities which industry leaders to do. They have to consistently work to keep them on the top and maintain a big gap between it and second in command, otherwise second in line can be a big threat. Leaders had move with thrust hold velocity, to keep a huge distance between the other players. Once that is maintained, they can sustain their position.
(Author – Rajinder Singh Mann, B.Sc., PGDCS, MBA, MPhil. DT&D(Diploma Training and Development. (Have Experience of more than 25 years in S&OP, SCM, Logistics, Education, Training and development. Has worked in diverse industries like Publishing, Fasteners, Paints and Varnishes, Food Processing, Education and Training, Steel wares and Table-wares, Plywood and Laminates and Ceramics Industry with leading brands. Presently employed with one of the Leading Company in Indian Ceramics Industry).)